Thursday, September 9, 2010

My heart is heavy

My heart is heavy this morning as I write this. Some teens were killed in my town in a car crash. Does somebody wanna tell me how this is fair? How this is just?

I'll answer that for myself. It's not. Unfortunately, it's life. It's circumstance.

I do not believe they were "taken home." Nor do I believe in the whole "God's will" comment most people are using to deal with this tragedy. If God in fact existed, which as an Atheist, I do not believe he does, he would be an unjust God in my mind. What kind of God would allow such things to happen? God's will? I say, don't feed me that line. It's never made sense to me anyway. When you hit a deer or squash a bug on your windshield was it God's will? No, nobody ever says that. Yet we say that when it comes to humans...like we're some infinite superior being. Somehow we've rendered ourselves incapable of handling things like death and tragedy on our own.

My heart is heavy for the families and these kids' friends. But, I struggle with the whole idea of death. It's tragic yes. God's will? Not in my mind. Their time? No, I don't believe that either. It was circumstance....but, I respect people's ways of grieving....and even though I'm not family or even friends of these kids, I'm having a hard time...a hard time accepting that this world is often cruel and unjust.....

No comments:

Post a Comment