Wednesday, September 8, 2010

My journey from Christian to Atheism

This is a big blog for me. And one I'm sure might take me a while to actually write.

I'm not really sure where to start, but here it is. As a child and teenager, my parents dragged us to various churches, various religions, ect. One thing was clear: my parents didn't know WHO they wanted to be in relation to Christianty. My brother and I bounced from church to church, much like our entire lives  -- bouncing from one house to another..never being allowed to make friends for the sheer reason we were never there long enough.

As a child I always believed there was a God. I just never knew in what form. We were Catholic one minute. Seventh-Day Adventist the next. Then Christian. Then Mormon. You get the idea. Needless to say, I was being fed all these different views during my formative years. I was a very confused child.

I started questioning religion when I was in my early to late teens. At that time I attended the Mormon church and even was serving as a stake missionary. And the church did not like it when I questioned them. As a matter of fact, they didn't like it when I questioned anything. When our family started going through some rough times, things fell apart for me and I laid everything on the table. And finally decided, at least for me, that I had been fed a bunch of false information all my life.

I'd be lying if I said it didn't leave a hole in my life for a while. Suddenly I went from striving for "heaven" to realizing that when you die there is this infinite dark. Nothing more. I mean, come on, what makes us any more different than a bug? A tree? A wasp? A dog? We are merely animals that, in most cases, have evolved to a more intelligent level. So do I believe in afterlife? No. Not anymore.

I do not believe there is  a God.

I do not believe in heaven or hell. These beliefs are a part of my past. And nothing more than childhood fairytales that I was fed growing up.

My words may seem harsh. But this is MY blog and MY reality. These are my views. I have no problem with religion...I have a problem with it being shoved down my throat. I've been there. Done that. I played the church game. IT DID NOT WORK.

And I'm done.

1 comment: